We love what we do
are good at
To this end we can assist you through the following services:
- Accounting or bookkeeping services: The recording in the accounting records of the entity of financial transactions that occurred during the period under review, including the closing and balancing of general ledger accounts (on a monthly or bi-monthly or quarterly or annual basis). Our services include general ledger closing procedures up to final trial balance.
- Compilation of financial statements: The preparation of an entity’s financial statements in accordance with an identified financial reporting framework; which may include International Financial Reporting Standards for Small and Medium-sized Entities (IFRS for SMEs), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), an entity specific basis of accounting, or other identified frameworks. Our compilation services relate to annual financial statements, interim financial statements, draft or pro-forma financial statements, etc.
- Preparation of budgets, cash flow forecast and the like.
- Agreed-upon procedures engagements: Engagements in respect of which we perform certain specific agreed-upon procedures in respect of identified financial information and report our factual findings to the client.
- Systems implementation: We assist clients with implementing proper accounting and related internal control systems, as well as evaluating and improving existing systems.
Mervitz & Malan Chartered Accountants Inc. acts as independent auditors and independent reviewers to a variety of companies in respect of the statutory audit of their annual financial statements. Furthermore, we perform voluntary audits of the financial statements in respect of a number of entities, on request.
Other services included in our portfolio of assurance engagements:
- Special purpose audits in respect of the audit of attorneys trust accounts and the trust accounts of estate agents
- Other special purpose audit engagements pertaining to financial and non-financial information
- Review engagements pertaining to financial statements, interim financial statements and other information
We can guide you through the taxation maze.
Our team is experienced in providing extensive taxation services, led by our tax partner, Willem Malan who was previously an assistant director at the South African Revenue Services (SARS), Pretoria. Our taxation services extend to individuals and corporates and include:
- Tax planning
- Taxation calculations, and the completion and submission of income tax returns: Annual returns and provisional returns
- Registration for VAT and Regular submission of Value Added Tax (VAT) Returns
- Assisting with employee taxation as part of clients’ payroll systems (PAYE and SITE)
- Overall administration of clients’ tax affairs, including tax advice, the compilation of relevant accounting information to accompany tax returns, applying for extensions, reviewing tax assessments, dealing with inquiries from SARS, etc.
- Assisting with any disputes and queries that you may have with the South African Revenue Services
Many clients have found the following services invaluable in managing and directing their businesses:
- Business reconstructions
- Structuring of new business ventures
- Advice concerning acquisitions and mergers
- Developing appropriate strategies and support in negotiations
- Assistance and advice in respect of the acquisition or sale of businesses
- Preparation of budgets, cash flow forecast and the like
- Due diligence services
- Valuation services
- General management consulting services
- The formation of trusts
- Assisting with matters pertaining to the Master’s Office
- Administration of testamentary trusts
- Overall administration of clients’ trust affairs. These services are provided through a related company: Mervitz & Malan Trust Administrators (Pty) Ltd
- Estate planning
- Advice regarding estate duty
- Assistance in the preparation of Wills
- Administration of Deceased Estates